Morrison Mahoney Partner John Knight has earned the designation of Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US) through the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP). The Certified Information Privacy Professional designation is the global standard for the go-to person for privacy laws, regulations and frameworks.
The IAPP is a not-for-profit association for privacy professionals worldwide that was founded in 2000. It is the largest global information privacy organization in the world, with more than 12,000 members in 78 countries. The IAPP indicates that the CIPP/US is the preeminent professional certification offered in information privacy today.
John received the CIPP designation upon passing the Certification Foundation and CIPP/US examinations. Specifically, he demonstrated knowledge of:
- Federal privacy laws, including HIPAA, Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act (FACTA), Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act and the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA)
- Various state information privacy and data breach notification laws
- U.S. federal regulation of marketing practices, including Do Not Call, CAN-SPAM and the Junk Fax Prevention Act (JFPA)
- Employment-related privacy laws, plus best practices for privacy and background screening, employee testing, workplace monitoring, employee investigation and termination of employment
- Cyber liability insurance, a relatively new form of insurance protection that fills gaps such as breach-related expenses typically not covered by General Commercial Liability plans
Only a small number of attorneys are CIPP certified, as the certification primarily is sought by Chief Privacy Officers, information technology specialists, information security leaders and other industry professionals.