Alan is a partner in the Boston office of Morrison Mahoney, where he has over ten years’ experience successfully representing clients in professional liability, product liability, premises liability, personal injury, employment, and consumer-protection matters. Alan represents professionals such as attorneys, accountants, insurance agents, real estate brokers, real estate appraisers and home inspectors in civil matters, and in administrative investigations and proceedings before the Board of Bar Overseers, Division of Professional Licensure and other state and federal regulatory agencies. He also counsels individuals and professional services firms on risk management and ethical compliance.
Alan litigates product liability, premises liability and personal injury matters on behalf of manufacturers, distributors, retailers and transportation companies.
Alan handles a wide range of employment matters, including claims for employment discrimination and harassment, breach of contract, wage and hour violations, OSHA and defamation.
Alan defends businesses against claims brought under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), the Massachusetts Consumer Protection Act (MGL c. 93A), and other state and federal consumer-protection laws.
Alan has successfully tried cases in both state and federal courts, and before various administrative agencies. He has also served as a Special Assistant Attorney General representing the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Prior to joining Morrison Mahoney, Alan served for five years as an Investigator in the Office of the Bar Counsel at the Massachusetts Board of Bar Overseers where he was involved in prosecuting attorney misconduct cases. He previously worked in the biotech industry.
- Numerous dismissals of Board of Bar Overseers complaints in matters alleging IOLTA violations, conflicts of interest, neglect / mishandling, failure to communicate, and intentional misconduct
- Summary judgment on behalf of lawyer for alleged consumer-protection violations
- Defense verdict on behalf of Fortune 100 retailer in premises liability matter
- Successful resolution of high-exposure product liability claim on behalf of Fortune Global 500 electronics manufacturer
- Summary judgment on behalf of employer for alleged violation of the Massachusetts Wage Act
- Dismissal of FDCPA matter on behalf of collections firm following bench trial
- “Confidential information: What is it and What are Your Obligations,” Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly (2016)
- "Navigating the Disciplinary Process at the Massachusetts Board of Registration of Real Estate Appraisers," Massachusetts Board of Real Estate Appraisers Newsletter (co-author) (2010)
- “Hell’s Gates: Adopt Effective Client Communication Methods to Avoid Bar Discipline,” MBA Section Review (2007)
- “Somebody Hacked the Wizard – A Data Breach at the Emerald City Insurance Agency,” mock trial on cyber-liability for MAIA’s “The Big Event,” October 2016
- “Trending Exposures for Real Estate Professionals,” ALFA International EPL & Professional Liability Seminar, New York, June 2016
- “Conflicts and Confidentiality,” MBA Practicing with Professionalism, October 2015
- “Mock Mediation of a Professional Liability Case,” Hanover Insurance Annual Underwriter Meeting, Connecticut, October 2015
- “Defending FDCPA lawsuits,” New England Collectors Association, Connecticut, June 2015
- “Fundamentals of Legal Malpractice Claims,” New England Law, April 2012
- American Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Civil jury trial and bench trial experience in both state and federal courts, and before administrative agencies
- Served as Special Assistant Attorney General representing the Commonwealth of Massachusetts