John has over thirty years experience as trial counsel in hundreds of actions in state and federal courts. His practice includes professional liability, medical and dental malpractice, product liability, directors and officers liability, employer liability, construction liability, premises liability, motor vehicle liability, abuse and molestation claims and insurance coverage litigation. He has tried to verdict well over 100 complex civil cases in state and federal courts, including many actions for wrongful death and catastrophic injuries. He also represents professionals before licensing boards, including the Board of Bar Overseers, Board of Registration in Medicine and Board of Registration in Dentistry. He advises and counsels health care clients on issues of risk management and health care law. He has extensive appellate experience including appearances before the Supreme Judicial Court, Massachusetts Appeals Court, and the First Circuit Court of Appeals. John is a frequent lecturer to legal, professional, and civic associations and also serves as arbitrator and mediator.
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Hampden County Bar Association; Member, Past President
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)
- Clients Security Board of the MA Supreme Judicial Court, Member
- Massachusetts Bar Association; Chairperson, Judicial Administration Section (2000–2002)
- Hampden County Bar Association, President (1998–1999)
- Hampden District Medical - Legal Society, Chairperson, (1991–2011)
- Massachusetts Bar Association; Member, Executive Committee, Civil Litigation Section
- Defense verdicts in numerous complex cases involving substantial exposure including a medical malpractice action alleging brain damage to an infant; a collision between a cement mixer and a bicyclist; a product liability action involving an amputation from an industrial machine; and an employment discrimination action against a major national retail chain.
- "Superlawyer” designation by Boston Magazine and Law and Politics Magazine
- Elected by his peers for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America© in the field of Medical Malpractice Defense (2018, 2019)
- Board of Editors, Mass Lawyers Weekly (1999–2002)
- Delegate, Massachusetts Joint Bar Committee on Judicial Appointments (1991–1992)