Joanne Gulliford Hoban is a partner in the Worcester office of Morrison Mahoney. Joanne is an experienced trial attorney who focuses on the defense of physicians, nurses and other medical professionals in medical malpractice and professional liability matters. Her practice includes the defense of healthcare providers and facilities in both state and federal courts and before licensing and administrative boards, including the Board of Registration in Medicine. Joanne’s practice is focused mainly in the Massachusetts Superior Courts, as well as the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts.
Joanne also advises hospitals, and other healthcare organizations, on issues regarding risk management, fair hearing and other medical/legal issues. She is frequently asked to present to hospitals and healthcare organizations and covers topics such as social media issues, informed consent, apology and disclosure, administrative actions.
At the firm, Joanne leads the Recruitment and Retention Committee.
Joanne has served as speaker for a variety of organizations and events, including presentations at Grand Rounds at UMass Memorial Medical Center, annual conferences for the Massachusetts Association of Medical Staff Services, and UMass Memorial Life Flight Symposium. She is also frequently invited to speak on medical/nursing education topics at hospitals and medical centers throughout Massachusetts.
While in law school, Joanne was a member of the Suffolk University Law School Moot Court Board.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a hospital systems on the issue of apparent agency for acts of a non-employed physician and vicarious liability claims
- Obtained numerous defense verdicts in jury trials in the Superior Courts on behalf of physicians, nurses and hospitals in claims alleging medical malpractice
- "Litigation and Dermatology – Issues Confronting Providers and Case Examples," Quinsigamond Dermatological Society Meeting, UMass Memorial Medical Center (Department of Dermatology Grand Rounds) (October 2019)
- "Receiving 'Official' Paperwork: What do I do now?," Saint Vincent Hospital Nursing Symposium, Saint Vincent Hospital, Worcester, MA (October 2019)
- “Documentation Pitfalls – Case Examples and Highlights: When Documentation Gets in the Way of the Defense,” Massachusetts Association of Medical Staff Services (MAMSS) Annual Education Conference (May 2018)
- “When Documentation Gets in the Way of a Defense,” Morton Hospital Nursing Staff Meeting (May 2017)
- “Medical Professionals and Social Media,” Saint Vincent Hospital Education Seminar (April 2017)
- “Documentation Practices: Pitfalls, Best Practices, Loss Prevention and Liability Concerns” (October 2016)
- "Credentialing Issues and Pitfalls,” Massachusetts Association of Medical Staff Services Annual Education Conference (May 2016)
- “Risk Management and Liability of EMS Providers,” UMass Memorial Medical Center Life Flight Symposium (December 2015)
- “Physicians Use of Social Media: Understanding Risks and Rewards” co-presenter, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Pediatric Grand Rounds (October 2015)
- “Complaints and Board Investigations: Issues Confronting Providers;” Massachusetts Association for Medical Staff Services Annual Education Conference (May 2015)
- “Apology and Disclosure;” Saint Vincent Hospital, Medical Staff Annual Meeting (December 2014)
- “Anatomy of a Malpractice Case,” Massachusetts Association of Medical Staff Services, Annual Education Conference (October 2014)
- “Informed Consent: Concepts, Practical Applications and Recommendations for Providers,” Saint Vincent Hospital Medical Staff Meeting (2012)
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Catholic Churches of Millbury – Our Lady of the Assumption and St. Brigid Church, Finance Committee
- March of Dimes, March for Babies – Worcester, Executive Leadership Team
honors and awards
- "Top Women of the Law,” Mass Lawyers Weekly (2015)
- Selected to the Massachusetts Super Lawyers magazine list in Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Defense (2011–2019)
- Selected to the Massachusetts Super Lawyers magazine list as a "Rising Star" in Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Defense (2008–2010)