Matthew is an associate in the Boston office of Morrison Mahoney. An experienced trial litigator, he concentrates his practice in the areas of medical malpractice and professional liability representing hospitals, physicians, nurses and other health care professionals as well as corporate and educational institutions on professional malpractice and general liability claims.
Matthew has served as lead counsel in more than 25 jury trials and is admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, the Supreme Court of the United States and all state and federal courts in Massachusetts.
Matthew has appeared many times as a panelist for the Massachusetts Bar Association’s presentation of the Supreme Judicial Court’s “Practicing with Professionalism.”
Before joining Morrison Mahoney, Matthew gained significant experience in civil litigation and insurance defense. As part of this practice, he has represented numerous health care facilities and professionals on a wide range of liability issues.
- Won dismissal on behalf of hospital after cross-examination of plaintiff’s expert as first chair
- Won directed verdict in favor of charitable client at the conclusion of plaintiff’s case in chief as lead trial counsel
- Won jury verdict on disputed liability auto collision claim with no witnesses to the accident as first chair
- Obtained Summary Judgment for defendant surgeon in medical malpractice suit following favorable finding before the Medical Malpractice Tribunal and award of tribunal bond
- Won jury verdict for driver of SUV in litigation involving a collision with a bicyclist as lead trial counsel
- Won Summary Judgment for insurer in litigation involving unfair and deceptive claims, including 93A
- Secured Summary Judgment for landlord in litigation alleging dog-bite
- Second chaired medical malpractice trial with allegation of misdiagnosis that caused plaintiff to undergo fatal treatment
- Second chaired medical malpractice trial with allegation of failure to appropriately diagnose and treat brain aneurysm
- Successfully defended an appeal to the 1st Circuit after winning dismissal of claim in federal district court
- Successfully defended an appeal at the Massachusetts Appeals Court of a favorable judgment on a declaratory action
- "Diversity of Practice in Law Careers," Clark University (November 2016)
- "First Monday Educational Series: Arguing Damages in Closing: Arguing Damages in Closing," Worcester County Bar Association Trial Practice Session (January 2016)
- Worcester County Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association, Massachusetts Chapter
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Massachusetts Defense Lawyers Association
- Worcester Junior Railers – Youth Hockey Coach