Michael is a partner in the Boston office of Morrison Mahoney. He concentrates his practice in the areas of construction, employment, transportation, product, and Director’s & Officer’s (D&O) liability, and represents and defends individuals and business entities in civil litigation and administrative matters throughout the State and Federal Courts of Massachusetts and Connecticut.
Michael has spent the vast majority of his fourteen year legal career defending individuals and private and public corporations in cases that range from negligent maintenance, negligent hiring, training, retention and supervision, civil rights violations and employment discrimination.
Prior to becoming an attorney, Michael had an eight-year career as an insurance adjuster and claims manager investigating various liability cases.
Michael has tried several cases to verdict, having obtained a defense verdict in every case. His most recent victories include:
- Gough v. Rogers Corporation, et al., toxic tort (asbestos - environmental fiber drift case), lead counsel, Fairfield Superior Court, Bridgeport, CT, defense verdict (2017). The Gough case is believed to be only the second defense verdict by a jury in an asbestos case in Connecticut history.
- Lagerberg v. Armstrong Int’l, et al., toxic tort (asbestos- environmental fiber drift case), local counsel, Fairfield Superior Court, Bridgeport, CT, defense verdict (2015). The Lagerberg case is believed to be the first defense verdict handed down by a jury in an asbestos case in Connecticut history. Michael also obtained a second defense verdict in this case as lead counsel in 2017, successfully defending the plaintiffs’ Complaint for a New Trial.
- Coakley v. City of Salem, premises liability, Essex Superior Court, Salem, Massachusetts, jury verdict for defense (2016).
- Schilke v. Town of Bellingham, premises liability, Norfolk Superior Court, Dedham, Massachusetts, jury verdict for defense (2015).
- Whitehill v. Town of Marblehead, negligent hiring/training/retention/supervision (student injury during self-defense class), Essex Superior Court, Lawrence, Massachusetts, jury verdict for defense (2015).
- For Michael’s many publications, please click here.
"Immunity Issues Under the Massachusetts Tort Claims Act," Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education (MCLE) (2014), Presenter on Municipal Law
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Methuen High School Mock Trial Team, Attorney Coach
Honors & Awards
- Selected to the Massachusetts Super Lawyers magazine list in Civil Litigation: Defense (2017–2019)
- Selected to the Massachusetts Super Lawyers magazine list as a "Rising Star" in Civil Litigation: Defense (2014)