Daniel is a partner in the New York office of Morrison Mahoney and co-leader of the firm’s Cybersecurity, Privacy and Data Protection team where he provides advisory services relating to the development, modification and implementation of written information security plans, employee data security policies, third-party vendor contracts and related corporate governance policies. His practice also includes the counseling of clients in all aspects of data breach prevention, detection and mitigation, as well as regulatory compliance with international, federal and state privacy and data protection laws including the CCPA, GDPR , GLBA, HIPAA and the N.Y.S. Department of Financial Services cybersecurity regulation. Clients also turn to Daniel for assistance with cybersecurity and privacy assessments and training for employees and management on data handling, crisis management and breach response. In addition, Daniel represents clients in federal and state litigation, including the defense of class-action matters arising from data breaches. Daniel also advises clients with respect to cyber-insurance placement and coverage issues, and is experienced in assisting clients with regulatory inquiries arising from cyber incidents and breaches.
Daniel is a frequent speaker and author on cybersecurity and data privacy topics and trends, and is the Editor of the Morrison Mahoney Cybersecurity, Privacy and Data Protection Newsletter. In addition, he is a Member of the Rutgers University Cybersecurity Advisory Board, where he provides input and leadership designed to enhance the school’s Cybersecurity Certificate Program.
Daniel is also a member of Morrison Mahoney’s Insurance Fraud & Forensic Investigations Group, as well as the firm’s Financial Institutions Litigation Group, and has extensive experience in the litigation of insurance and healthcare fraud actions, as well as in the representation of domestic and international financial institutions, insurance carriers, hedge funds, corporations, and individuals in litigation, mediation and arbitration matters.
Prior to joining private practice, Daniel served as an Assistant District Attorney in Bronx County, New York where he gained significant courtroom experience in the Office’s Criminal Court, Grand Jury and Trial Division Bureaus.
- Cybersecurity CLE, Nassau County Bar Association's (NCBA) In-House Counsel Committee Meeting, October 10, 2019
- "Cybersecurity: The Law and How it Impacts the Operation of a Small to Medium Size Law Firm," Queens County Bar Association, September 26, 2019
- “Legislative/Litigation Trends in Privacy & Cybersecurity Law,” Lawline Data Breach & Privacy CLE Event, August 26, 2019
- “Data Privacy and Cyber Law Overview,” Hofstra University Maurice A. Dean School of Law’s Cybersecurity CLE Event, March 27, 2019
- “Cyber Security Regulatory and Compliance Trends,” BSidesLI Information Security Conference, January 26, 2019
- "Data Security, Privacy, & the Law," Hofstra University Maurice A. Dean School of Law's 2018 Legal Tech Boot Camp, October 6, 2018
- “Cyber Security: Updates and Applications,” Alternative Finance Bar Association’s Annual Meeting, June 8, 2018
- “Emerging Cyber Fraud Issues,” Insurance Fraud Management Conference, March 13, 2018
"Cyber Security Strategies for 2018 and Beyond," Oxford Solutions Cybersecurity Panel Discussion, January 30, 2018
- "Cybersecurity, Privacy, and Data Protection," Alternative Finance Bar Association, June 5, 2017
- "Cyber Security: Common Sense Best Practices," Long Island Advancement of Small Business (LIASB), May 24, 2017
- "The Increasing Threat of Cyber Related Insurance Fraud Schemes," Insurance Fraud Management Conference, March 14, 2017
- “Information & Cyber Security for Small Business,” Long Island Advancement of Small Business (LIASB), February 15, 2017
"Cybersecurity Regulation in the Alternative Finance Industry," Alternative Finance Bar Association, June 2019
- Blockchain Can Block Insurance Fraud, Journal of Insurance Fraud in America, Coalition Against Insurance Fraud, August 2018
- "Can Machines Think Like Lawyers," DRI Data and Security Dispatch, Vol 4, Issue 1, June 2018
- Four Ways Blockchain Will Transform The Insurance Industry, Mondaq, May 2018
- Record Number of Data Breaches Reported in New York in 2016; Trend Continuing Nationwide in 2017
- DFS Regulations Allow for Third-Party CISO
- The Key to Beating Ransomware: Plan, Prevent and Have a Full Back-up