Joe is a partner in the Hartford office of Morrison Mahoney and has over sixteen years of experience in trial practice and civil litigation. He represents insurance companies, insureds, private businesses, attorneys, and other licensed professionals in matters involving automobile, homeowner and property insurance coverage, insurance fraud investigation, general liability defense, automobile liability defense, bad faith claims, construction, products liability, professional liability, and subrogation.
Joe’s experience includes working closely with insurance companies’ Special Investigation Units (“SIU”), advising and representing several insurance companies during major investigations of medical providers and associated business entities, as well as in subsequent litigation against such parties to recover fraudulently obtained insurance benefits.
Joe has served as lead counsel on nearly fifty civil jury trials, and has represented clients in twelve appeals.
- Obtained numerous defense verdicts in Connecticut and Massachusetts jury trials involving issues of insurance coverage, bad faith, automobile liability and general liability.
- Represented insurance companies in two cases of first impression before the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court, as well as in other appellate courts on a wide variety of insurance coverage issues
- Reported appellate decisions have included cases involving the coordination of automobile insurance and health insurance benefits, an insurer’s right to conduct an independent medical examination, a secured lender’s right to automobile insurance coverage, a business plaintiff’s burden of proof in a bad faith claim against an insurer, as well as multiple appellate issues under the Massachusetts no-fault automobile insurance statute, including the calculation of lost wage benefits, a plaintiff’s recovery of attorney’s fees, and the applicable statute of limitations
- “The Occasionally Gray Area Of Whether An Injured Motorist Was ‘Occupying’ A Vehicle,” The Standard (March 24, 2017)
“Exposing and Prosecuting the Chiropractic Personal Injury Mill,” Florida Insurance Fraud Education Committee (FIFEC) Annual Conference (2017 and 2018)
- Claim and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM)
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS)
- Friends of Harvard Track and Field, Co-Chair