Michael is a partner in the Boston office of Morrison Mahoney and has practiced with the firm for over fourteen years. He concentrates his practice in the area of professional liability, specifically the defense of non-medical professionals including lawyers, insurance agents, real estate brokers and appraisers. His practice also focuses on product liability, liquor liability/dram shop law, transportation law and environmental law.
Michael's practice has also grown to include insurance coverage, Medicare law and the representation of licensed professionals and citizens before state administrative boards and agencies. In addition, as a member of Morrison Mahoney’s Cybersecurity, Data Protection and Privacy team, he provides cybersecurity litigation services to the firm’s clients relating to the defense of class action and derivative lawsuits, as well as administrative enforcement actions brought by federal and state agencies charged with overseeing and enforcing privacy and data protection statutes, regulations and rules.
Michael has tried cases to defense verdicts in Massachusetts state and federal court and in Maine state court.
He enjoys teaching litigation skills to new attorneys and has served as a faculty member of the MCLE Taking Depositions workshop since 2008 and Advanced Deposition Skills workshop since 2011. He also carries a special interest in the history of law in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and has collaborated in the publication of an historical chronicle of one of the Commonwealth's most esteemed colonial lawyers, Josiah Quincy, Jr.
In September 2018, Michael was appointed Chair of the Judicial Administration Section Council for the Massachusetts Bar Association.
- Defense Verdict, Barnstable Superior Court (MA), January 2018: Successful defense of seven-figure engineering malpractice claim after 9-day jury trial
- Defense Verdict, Salem Superior Court (MA), 2012: Successful defense of construction accident claim after 4-day jury trial
- Appeals Court Decision, Massachusetts Appeals Court, 2010: Summary judgment decision in favor of client/attorney in legal malpractice action affirmed on appeal
- Defense Verdict, Penobscot Superior Court (ME), 2009: Successful defense of seven-figure insurance bad faith claim after 5-day jury trial
- Massachusetts Appeals Court Clarifies How Irrevocable Trusts Can Disqualify MassHealth Eligibility (IN PRACTICE...WITH CNA, November 3, 2016)
- Moderator, View From the Bench and Bar: Unraveling the Mysteries of E-Discovery in Civil Cases, December 4, 2018
- Moderator, View From the Bench: E-Discovery. May 23, 2018
- Faculty, Massachusetts Bar Association course, Practicing with Professionalism, 2018-present
- Faculty, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Taking Depositions, 2008-present
- Panelist, “Selected Issues in Taxation of Settlements and Judgments,” Massachusetts Bar Association seminar, 2011
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Judicial Administration Section Council, Massachusetts Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- Chair, Judicial Administration Section Council, Massachusetts Bar Association (2018-19)