Steve is of counsel in the Boston office of Morrison Mahoney and the former Co-Chair of the firm's Professional Practices Group. For over 25 years, he has served the needs of professionals, businesses, and insurers in litigation/arbitration, administrative/disciplinary proceedings, licensing, and transactions. Among the broad range of legal services Steve provides are as follows:
Representation of non-medical professionals including attorneys, accountants, financial/securities professionals, design professionals, insurance agents and brokers, realtors, home inspectors and appraisers. Handing matters pre-suit, in all courts and forums, and in private dispute resolution (arbitration and mediation). Defending claims of professional negligence, contract, fiduciary duty, and consumer protection.
Representation of non-medical professionals and businesses before disciplinary and regulatory authorities including BBO/Bar Associations, Division of Professional Licensure, FINRA, SEC, and IRS.
Representation of insurers in reviewing proposed insurance coverages, preparing coverage opinions, prosecuting and defending declaratory judgment actions, and responding to and defending bad faith claims.
Representation of businesses and organizations in defense of liability, security, and defect claims for bodily injury and property damage including matters involving wholesale/retail facilities, condominium/apartment buildings, office buildings and the hospitality industry.
Review of business operations to address areas of liability, review of insurance policies and programs to assess potential gaps in coverage, and review of IT/cyber practices to provide guidance as to procedural and technical options to limit exposure.
Negotiation, drafting and review of construction and professional services contracts, engagement letters, subcontract and subconsultant agreements, leases, and supplier contracts for developers, design professionals, contractors, and businesses.
Negotiation and drafting of agreements for merger, acquisition, business transfers, and asset sales for professional services entities.
- Obtained successful verdicts at trial for attorneys, accountants, design professionals, insurers, insurance brokers, developers/homeowners, and security companies
- Obtained judgments of dismissal or summary judgment for clients on professional liability, general liability, commercial, and employment claims
- Obtained appellate decisions in favor of clients in both state and federal courts
- Successfully represented clients before state and federal disciplinary and regulatory authorities
- Negotiated, documented, and closed transactions for the purchase/sale of professional services firms for insurance brokers, attorneys, and design professionals
- Defense Research Institute
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Massachusetts Defense Lawyers Association
Honors & Awards
Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated in Legal Ability & Ethical Standards, (2015)