David is the leader of the firm’s insurance agent and broker practice group and its insurance regulatory practice group. David began his career with Morrison Mahoney in 1965 and has concentrated his practice on insurance business issues and regulatory matters particularly on behalf of insurance agents and brokers as well as insurance carriers.
David began his interest in insurance at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania where his major field of endeavor was insurance. Following law school, David obtained the Chartered Property and Casualty Underwriter (CPCU) designation and became an underwriting member of Lloyds of London. He has been a speaker at many insurance agent and broker conventions and meetings.
David is widely known and respected nationally, as well as locally, as a skilled and experienced transactional and business lawyer and counsellor handling insurance agency mergers and acquisitions with the large national brokers as well as assisting smaller local and regional agencies to grow and prosper through acquisitions, to assist others with finding the right buyer and negotiating favorable arrangements for continued opportunities in the agency business, agency perpetuation or retirement as the need may be.
Under David's leadership, the firm’s insurance agent and broker and insurance regulatory practice groups provide full and complete legal services to insurance agents, brokers and carriers of which the following are representative:
- Agency Mergers, Acquisitions and Sales
- Agency Valuation
- Agency Perpetuation
- Agency Clusters
- Licensing and Regulatory Matters
- Business Brokerage Arrangements
- Incorporation and other Business Organizations
- Employment Agreements
- General Business Law Matters
- Non-Compete Agreements
- Together with our founding partner, Robert M. Morrison, David co-authored the book published by Insurers Press entitled Insurance Agency Purchases and Mergers
- Contributing author of A Guide to Perpetuation published by Insurance Marketing Services
- Founding member of the Federation of Regulatory Counsel
HONORS & AWARDS
Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated in Legal Ability & Ethical Standards, (2015)