Joe focuses his practice in the areas of construction law, employment law, products liability and general liability. He represents clients in state and federal courts in complex litigation involving significant damages, serious injuries and death. Joseph has First Chair jury trial experience and has participated in numerous arbitrations, mediations and administrative proceedings.
Defense Research Institute, Member
- Obtained summary judgment for lessor of a forklift in multi-million dollar negligent entrustment claim, upheld on appeal. Vintimilla v. National Lumber Co., 84 Mass.App.Ct. 493 (2013).
- Obtained defense verdict for property owner in multi-million dollar negligent security case.
- Obtained dismissal of employment discrimination (national origin) claim filed by church employee against Parish, successfully arguing that the “ministerial exception” to the Massachusetts employment discriminations laws protected Parish’s employment decision.
- Author of Who's on First, What's on Second, and I Don't Know About the Sixth Circuit: A § 1983 Malicious Prosecution Circuit Split That Would Confuse Even Abbott and Costello, 36 Suffolk U. L. Rev. 513 (2003), cited by Hernandez-Cuevas v. Taylor, 723 F.3d 91, (1st Cir. 2013) and Pierce v. Gilchrist, 359 F.3d 1279 (10th Cir. 2004).
- Author of First Amendment Establishment Clause No Defense to Viewpoint Discrimination Violative of Free Speech Clause – Good News Club v. Milford Central School, 36 Suffolk U. L. Rev. 281 (2002).