Ed has more than twenty-five years of civil litigation and trial experience. He has been with the firm since 1996 and a partner since 1999. He practices in both Massachusetts and New Hampshire, among other jurisdictions.
Ed successfully represents clients in professional liability, employment, products liability, premises liability, and commercial matters before administrative agencies, regulatory boards, and trial and appellate courts. He defends various professionals, including, among others, attorneys, insurance agents, accountants, real estate brokers, appraisers, securities brokers, and home inspectors. Ed’s employment experience is diverse in defending employment discrimination and retaliation claims, wage and hour violations, OSHA violations, and NLRB violations and negotiating severance and other employment agreements.
In addition to providing defense in litigation matters, he counsels clients on numerous issues for risk management purposes such as workplace compliance matters and is frequently retained by insurers to provide representation with respect to coverage issues. He often presents seminars and mock trials to client and industry groups, including the Massachusetts Association of Insurance Agents’ annual Big Event. He also has written articles on diverse legal issues for firm and industry publications such as The Standard.
- Tried numerous cases, including obtaining defense verdict after a two-week trial involving a $1 million premises liability claim
- Obtained no probable cause determinations and dismissals in numerous employment discrimination and retaliation cases before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Department of Labor, the National Labor Relations Board, the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination, the New Hampshire Commission for Human Rights, and state and federal courts
- Successfully defended other employment matters, including Wage Act claims for overtime, bonus and other compensation and Department of Labor investigations, including for OSHA violations
- Successfully arbitrated numerous matters, including recovering costs after defending a securities claim of over $1 million and recovering attorneys’ fees and costs after defending a commercial liability claim
- Obtained summary judgments and dismissals in numerous diverse cases
- American Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- New Hampshire Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- ALFA International, the Global Legal Network®, Labor and Employment Group, Steering Committee Member
Honors & Awards
- Elected by his peers to The Best Lawyers in America© Insurance Law guide (2014-2023)
- Rated by his peers as AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell for many years